Thursday, February 13, 2014

Until tomorrow.

Growing up we were always reminded to appreciate everything we had. This not only included materialistic items, but things that in all honesty, doesn't have a price. I suppose that's why to this day, I always thank God for the blessings that seem to be overlooked, like: the ability to walk, talk, see, be free of sickness, the ability to read, live in the country that I do, have the unconditional support that I do, to receive proper education, and the effortless fact that I am alive to see another day.


Coming to Peru really put into perspective of how blessed I really am. Back in Canada, you don't see much poverty - surely you see homeless individuals, you know of people that are struggling to pay the bills, that are in need of food and shelter - but there is help for that. There are food banks, shelters, thrift stores, social workers, services that are offer things for those in need. But in Peru? There's none of that. You don't have a home? Too bad. You're sleeping on the street. You don't have anything to eat tonight? Better luck tomorrow. You can't find a job? Keep looking. You have a family to feed? Well they better start working too. I can't tell you how many times I have seen little kids on the street, or on the highway selling candy. It honestly breaks my heart. I think of them, and how their life must be. I think of how they must think that that is it for them. Their biggest priority is gathering enough money to buy dinner for the night, whereas me at that age, I could've asked for what I wanted to have for dinner. Sometimes small children will get on the micros (which is a type of bus here in Peru) and dance, or sing or just explain their story and ask for money. Many passengers aboard the bus look away, but there will be the few that go into their pocket and give away what they want to give. The thing is, there is a lot of corruption here in Peru, and sometimes parents, or people that have children working for them will make those kids beg for money, and whatever they gather, doesn't go to them - it goes to the bigger fish in the pond. Knowing all that frustrates me to the core, and only ignites so many ideas in reference to what I can do to make a difference, to make a change.


Tomorrow I'll be going to an orphanage with a group of friends, that is located here in Lima, but it is a bit secluded and from what I have heard, a 45 minute drive away. I am scared and nervous. I am scared to see close to the reality of much of the children here in Peru, nervous that I may cry and they may not understand why. You see, to them where they live, that is home. That is their life. That is all they have ever known. Some children have been there for most of their existence, and do not know of the world and all it has to offer.


I know I will go in with an open heart and I will come out a better person.
It is my grand hope that throughout this experience, we will be able to help these children out through fundraisers, donations and so on. Truly I hope that this sparks a feeling of compassion in a lot of beings here in Lima, and that we may all see how much we are really capable of if we unite and comply.


So my dear readers, be grateful for what you have, and work for what you don't. I know we all go through problems and crisises, and at the time, they seem awful, and are. But in my time of need, knowing that others out there have less than me and could use my help, altered my perspective of the term "problem" and helped me focus on the bigger picture.


If you know of people that need help, it is not enough to have the desire to help, but to implement that desire into action and DO.

Until tomorrow,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment