Monday, January 20, 2014

A beautiful soul.

My aunt passed away today. As I was in the hospital by her bed, my mind raced to all the memories I hold of her, from her grey pigtails to her big smiley face, to the beautiful way that she would always offer food every time I went to visit her. You see, I didn't really know her that well. She lived in Peru her whole life, I lived in Canada, so before I came to live here, I didn't really know of her. In the short time that I did get to know her, I was able to see the kind-hearted, noble person that she was. She was like a little kid. Happy with what she had, innocent. She loved her mom very much. She wasn't married, nor did she have kids, but she has 9 brothers and sisters, who today, were right beside her until her very last breath. I remember when I visited her before I went to Europe, she would be in bed and cry for her mom. She wasn't aware of what she had, she didn't understand. I didn't understand why someone like her would be going through this illness, someone who clearly didn't deserve to die at the age that she's passed away.

She was beautiful for who she was, for who she chose to be. I was more than touched to see how her brothers and sisters, all of old age, were there for her, singing her hymns and praying, kissing her forehead and holding her hand. She was bid adieu with love. She was surrounded with love in her last moments. I shed more tears when I realized that she was gone, for I won't be seeing her until I stand before the pearly gates. She's going straight to heaven for sure, I know it. She will be singing hymns with God, flying high and will do all the things she's always wanted to do. God will take great care of this angel.

My message to you is this: Don't take any day for granted. Don't hold grudges. Don't complain, don't limit yourself, don't settle. Don't isolate yourself, don't let one experience determine the way you feel about something. Do live every day to the fullest. Do something nice for yourself, for your family, your friends, strangers. Do spend your time with your family, they will always you unconditionally. Do forgive. Forgive as you would want others to forgive you. Do take risks. Take chances, expand your horizons. Live, live all you can, because every day is not a guarantee. Life is a gift, and precious in it's entirety. Remember, the good outweighs the bad. 
          Rest in peace, Tia Vilma. Forever engraved in our memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment