Thursday, March 20, 2014

Julio.

I met a little boy named Julio a while ago. He used to live in an orphanage here in Cineguilla, Peru. He was the first individual there that lovingly offered me his friendship, all it took was one question, "Hola, cual es tu nombre?" And with that, Julio became friends with Princesa Camote Papas Fritas (that's the name I presented myself with). What was so beautifully endearing about this child of God was his spirit. He is one of those people that you'll have the opportunity to meet through out your life and think: where did you come from? He had an angelic look in his eyes and his kindness was infectious. Inevitably, I grew to care for this little criatura just as I have for all the other kids there - Julio taught me to be kind, patient and to love others. I don't think he realized that he did what he did, that he inspired me and unintentionally made me a better person. You see, this is why I love volunteering there. Every time I leave the orphanage, I leave with a lesson learned.


Every one should be more like Julio. He exemplifies a love for others that warms the heart and makes you think. How easy it is to be kind but we choose otherwise. Imagine if every one in the world made an effort to be a little kinder to one other - from family to friends to strangers - imagine if we just tried to be kind, even if it's a quality that isn't natural to us.


What the world needs is eyes that will look at you without judgement, ears that will listen with intent, and mouths that will speak with love and sincerity. There are plenty of worldly issues out there, but I'd like to think that if we were kinder to one another, it would be the beginning of something wonderful.


We went to the orphanage on Tuesday. When I arrived I was greeted by Victor, a charming little boy that loves technology, music, and always is eager to hear me rap. I started to look for Julio, but I found out that he wasn't there anymore, as well as Jon. I was told that the government gave them to families. My first initial emotion was sadness. I thought of how I didn't get to say goodbye. I thought of how they might be feeling to have to suddenly leave the only place they know of as home. Then my mama bear complex kicked in. Are they okay? Are they adjusting well to their new families? Are these families treating them with the love and care that they so honestly deserve?


After we got back from the orphanage I was talking with a friend and he explained to me exactly how the orphanages work here in Peru, and how before they are given away to a family, the families go through a rigorous process to see if they qualify. I was told that "the government gave them away to a family", so that's how I thought it literally was.
After learning this, my thoughts changed and my heart grew soft. I thought of how lucky these families must be to have these new children in their homes, I thought of how Jon and Julio will bring so much joy and life lessons to those families. I pondered of how good their life could get now - and in the most sincerest place in my heart, I wished that they would be showered with love and have a life full of happiness, wherever they may be.


Here's to Julio - for teaching me to be kind, patient and loving. Here's to the stranger that became my friend and reminded me what a true friendship is all about. Here's to a child that has been through a lot and effortlessly manages to be happy. Here's to innocence. Here's to what the future could be like - if we all just try to be a little kind.
 
 

2 comments: